“A Systematic Approach to Teaching Speech to Non-Vocal Individuals with Autism” (1.2 CEUs)
Developing functional speech in non-vocal clients with Autism as well as those with challenging behaviors can be one of the biggest challenges when they do not respond to traditional verbal modeling approaches.
Developed by TalkTools Instructors Renee Roy Hill, MS, CCC-SLP & Risca Solomon, MS, BCBA, this new course is a comprehensive program that combines principles of Applied Behavior Analysis with Oral Placement Therapy and is readily applicable to Speech Language Pathologists, Occupational Therapists and Behavior Analysts. It is available live since 2016, now online and in DVD.
For Behavior Analysts, the course demonstrates the importance of using specific techniques within hierarchies to develop the oral placement skills for speech and feeding. For Speech and Language Pathologists and Occupational Therapists, this course demonstrates techniques developed within the Applied Behavior Analysis field to maximize learning for functional speech using reinforcement based procedures. The course guides all participants through a complete program beginning with developing cooperation and ending with functional vocabulary.
The course is offered for 1.2 ASHA & AOTA approved CEUs, or 12 Contact Hours.
Participants will be able to:
- Describe how the science of Applied Behavior Analysis in conjunction with oral placement and tactile therapies can be used to teach non-verbal or non-imitative clients with autism to speak.
- Identify the prerequisite skills necessary to teach vocal speech and apply 3-4 techniques in the applied behavior analysis research that have been used to develop vocalizations.
- Describe the sequential steps of developing functional communication beginning with motivation, reinforcement, motor imitation and specific shaping strategies that can be used to maximize learning of functional speech.
- Explain how many non-verbal clients with autism have underlying oral motor and motor planning deficits that should be addressed.
- Apply specific task analyzed techniques to assist the therapist in applying TalkTools hierarchies to individuals with autism.
- Identify the connection between oral placement skills and the motor aspects of speech
- Apply specific sequential techniques to transition oral placement skills to functional speech for those clients not responding to traditional verbal modeling and shaping techniques.
And here is the best part: we are giving away 1 FREE online course / month. Enter now to participate!